Monday, June 20, 2011

Highs and Lows

Saturday, I was due to go out to birthday party but I didn't feel well that morning. I felt weak and had a bad headache that didn't go away. I had the nurse check my vitals and my pressure was very high. High blood pressure is a sign of Autonomic dysreflexia which, unattended to can lead to seizure, stroke or death. It happens usually because of bowel or bladder impediment. Since my bladder was draining fine, I concluded that my bowels were impacted. I also felt nauseous which is a sign of impaction. I took a slew of stool softeners and utilized digital stimulation to move things along. It worked and I initially felt relieved but then my pressure went from extrememly high to extremely low. This has never happened before so I was very concerned. I was also still nauseous and sweating profusely. I told my father I thought it best to go to the hospital. I knew they would give me fluids and work quickly to find the problem. Beth Abraham on the other hand, doesn't know how to deal with SCI concerns and I'm frustrated with their ignorance on this front when they have many people with spinal cord injury. An ambulance quickly came and asked me what I was feeling. They knew I had very low pressure and concluded I needed fluids. They quickly set up an I.V. in the van and I began to feel better. I only stayed for a few hours which is mamzing for being in the ER! The longest part was waiting for my ride back.

I felt okay to go to church the next day and after getting in the chair, eating breakfast and getting to church, I had another bout of really low pressure! So low, I could barely see anything! I told my father to tip my chair back and it worked a little but after passing out in church, I knew it was time to go. I pray this will stabilize and I'll be able to go out more frequently with less trouble! Keep this in prayer as I continue to heal and see what the Lord has in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment