Monday, February 15, 2010

Now we're moving!

I'm not sure if I mentioned, I made a proposal to NYCSCIA about funding the Vitaglide Pro for Beth Abraham. I started training at Asphalt Green, and I thought, man, there should be accessible equipment like the vitaglide at facilities like this. Then I thought, why not at Beth Abe? There are quads that really need it and do not have access to training like I have.


Even more, there are more and more younger people being funneled into Beth Abe long term and are cut off from therapy quickly. Our fees never change and we do not even get maintenance therapy. So the board thought favorably and chose a 50/50 funding strategy, where Beth abe pays for half (very fair!) I then met with head of PT and gave her the low down. Her main issue was money and if there was space. I made sure to add the dimensions to the proposal and said Beth Abe paying for at least half was very fair considering the money we bring in. Then she said something that really surprised me: "shouldn't this be in an independent gym?" "But most of the disabled are here" I answered. It just seemed like she wanted any way to wiggle out of the idea.


Look at this guy! that's what I'm talking about! I want to see the quads in here getting a good work out like every body else!

I put her in contact with George, president of the NYSCIA and she said thought the chapter would be paying! George put it on flip mode and said quite the contrary! So now, admin is meeting tomorrow to discuss funding for the vitaglide to give their decision. I drew up a petition but it's been hard chasing people down and explaining the vitaglide. I presented it at the SCI support group meeting but only 4 people showed. They were supposed to give me statements but who am I kidding! I want to shoot over a couple last points before hand and hopefully things will work in our favor...

Onward and upward comrades!

No comments:

Post a Comment