Saturday, January 30, 2010

Getcho szhit togetha!

So I may have to switch gears with my therapist because apparently there's a specific section of Asphalt that is for PT. I hope I can continue to work with Leslie but if my insurance will not cover her, I cannot continue to pay out of pocket.

I submitted a proposal to the chapter to help fund a Vitaglide Pro for Beth Abraham. My biggest worry is the obduracy of Beth Abraham! They just suck so much! Even when a good thing comes their way! They'll pretty shit up and but never give real access to anything. They'll boast of themselves in the music program. What music program!?? They have all this equipment but don't know what to do with it! They have a great space for therapy but they don't utilize it! The Tilt table isn't used! The thing that bugs me most is that they have a pipeline from Mt. Sinai to bring all these young cats with SCI and yet they don't have the appropriate program to maintain SCI ADL levels, independence. 

At Mt. Sinai, I showered in a chair and mostly cleaned myself. Now, I resign to shower on the bed, because their chairs here suck and my feet drag. 2 people have to wash me because there always has to be 2 witnesses against me in this place.

There are paras in power chairs, who do not do their own bowel routines! There is no motivation or education here to get them to the appropriate level. This is the place Mt. Sinai--a model SCI System--has chosen! The bottom line: because it's the best of the shit pile. Well, I think there are good points in Beth Abe and as long as I'm here, I'll do whatever I can to improve it. These are the things I think about when I envision Wheels of Progress and how transitions should run. This can be somewhat of a drawing board.

I've been utterly enjoying Darcy James Argue's Secret Society and their new album Infernal Machines. itunes describes it as "steam punk jazz" and that about hits it right on the head. "Take the A train" meets...I dunno, my fist! But on a serious note, most times I find jazz too chaotic for me to enjoy unless it's fused with something else. This is much more musically grounded and still solidly jazz. Here's a couple songs from the album, if you want more, I have all the songs in rapidshare...enjoy!



3. Transit
4. Redeye

2 comments:

  1. Hey

    I used to be a patient at Beth Abraham. I remembered you talking about your blog, so I thought I'd check it out and say hi. I haven't read all the entries yet, but it's a pretty well-written blog. Nice stuff on here.

    I've actually been trying to contact someone; not sure if they're still a patient there. Is there a more private way for me to ask you if that person is still there? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, you can contact me at ricanstruction@kittymail.com

    ReplyDelete