Saturday, January 8, 2011

trouble

I've been going through a difficult time as I wait for a surgery date. One of the surgeons has not been definitive so everything is on hold. In the interim, I'm battling another UTI and taking two antibiotics. My body is in pain and all around not happy with me. I'm bedridden most of the time and eating is a chore. Water and peppermint tea are the beverages of choice. To ease the pain, I lay on my side, I read the bible, mainly the Psalms. Recently I downloaded the NIV Dramatized audio bible from zondervan. You can get it from amazon for free with a 30 day trial membership to audible! I know it will com in handy as I'm recovering. There is nothing like reading an encouraging poem, someone who has felt suffering like you, but is comforted because of their trust in your Lord. It is our nature to depend on ourselves when things are going well. But when disaster hits, we immediately ask God to help us. When we have to depend on him for sustenance, that's when we recognize who holds everything in place. Despite everything, I am very very lucky I have the food, shelter and medicine I need. Many people don't and I try to keep that in mind when I feel overwhelmed. I still have my Voice of the Martyrs poster on the wall, detailing countries that persecute people for their Christian faith. You can see a similar map here. I think about those people who are barred from even having the Bible or worship together in peace. Christian converts are physically harassed by the police, tortured, and their churches are burned. Their pastors are killed. These problems were once only periphery to me at best, but since taking up my cross and following Jesus, the unfailing love of our God to reach down to us is what I cling to and suffering is at the forefront.




No comments:

Post a Comment